Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Thinking of Jeremy

It's been 32 years since that day that we went to the Holy Cross Hospital and met Jeremy John for the first time.

I was thinking of him today. I think of him often, but today was a special day because it was his 32nd birthday.

I wonder what his path in life would have been if he had walked a little farther.

Would he have been mischievous? He looked like he would have been a lot of fun. His smile made you melt. He would have had his mama wrapped around his little finger, with that smile.

Would he have enjoyed Sunday school like his big brothers did? There were lots of kids his age in our church.

Would he have been a good student in school?

Would he have graduated from Western Christian like his brothers and sister did?

Would he have married his high school sweetheart?

Would he have children by now. Would we be grandma and grandpa to more precious grandchildren?

No matter. What might have been, is not.

What is, is the knowledge that he is in the presence of the Lord. That he is loved, more than even we could love him. And that one day we will meet again.

But still we miss him. And still we think of him, and wonder.

2 comments:

James said...

Amen...

James said...

I think of Jeremy now, spiritually, as my big brother. I imagine one day tagging along with him in Heaven... havin' him show me the ropes...being so proud to be his 'lil brother... (just a thought, I guess)
As parents, Nicola and I think about you guys each year at the end of June and in November. We know that longing for him will never fade but we also pray and celebrate our faith that you will (that we all will) be reunited in time.
I am grateful that I was old enough to have memories of him in this life. Specifically, I remember our family photo at the church when he wouldn't stop crying and also that time when you were sitting on the rocking chair in the living room with him at Cheltnham road. He was naked and started peeing. You tried to contain it as you ran him to the bathroom, Justin and I laughing and chasing close behind. (Just thoughts again).
May God give you and Mom comfort as you remember.
JR